Irrfan Khan Biography, Age, Wife, Family, First Movie & More
Who is Irrfan Khan?
Born on 7 January 1967 (Age 53 years as of 2020) Irrfan Khan was one of the finest and versatile actors in Bollywood as well as Hollywood. Due to his brilliant performance on the screen, he is not only garnered fame in India but worldwide.
He always remained focused on his work and curious about learning more and more. It wasn’t easy to become an international icon, but his hard work and dedication made it possible.
Inspirational dialogue from his last movie, Angrezi Medium:
Aadmi ka sapna toot jata hai na, to aadmi khatam ho jata hai (When one’s dream broke is like a dead man )
Unfortunately, he is no more but his memory will always remain alive as a great actor in our hearts until we die.
Irrfan Khan Biography
Born in Jaipur, Irrfan originally belonged to Khajuriya village, Tonk District, Rajasthan. Among the four siblings, he was at number two. His father had a tire business and wanted Irrfan to carry forward his business. But fate had already planned something else for him.
His desire was to become a cricketer at a young age and also got selected for the domestic tournament. He was highly impressed by Naseeruddin Shah and wanted to do something like him. When he was pursuing an MA from Jaipur, a theater artist Khurram Khan suggested that if you want a career in acting then you should pursue a degree from the National School of Drama, Delhi.
Without wasting a moment after completing a Master’s in Arts degree, he came to Delhi and applied in NSD. On his first attempt, he got selected.
After graduated from NSD in 1987, he moved to Mumbai to follow his dream.
Breakthrough & Achievements
In his struggling days, he did many television serials like Laal Ghas Par Neele Ghode, Darr, Kahkashan, Bhanvar, Chanakya, Bharat Ek Khoj, etc. Irrfan started gaining recognition by playing the famous character of Somnath in a popular TV serial Chandrakanta.
During work on the small screen, he got a tiny role in Salaam Bombay. He also appeared in movies for small roles like Ek Doctor Ki Maut, Such a Long Journey, and Kamla Ki Maut. But from the movie Maqbool and Haasil, he started being counted in the Indian film industry. However, he played supporting roles in both films.
His first breakthrough in a lead role was Rog (2005). He was appreciated by critics for this movie. After this, he never looked back and did many commercially and critically acclaimed movies.
Irrfan had not confined himself only to Bollywood and made his Hollywood debut from the movie Warrior (2001). In the year 2008, he appeared in Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire. After this film, he began to receive many offers from Hollywood.
Some of his best Hollywood movies are – Life of Pi (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), Jurassic World (2015), Inferno (2016), New York, I Love You (2008), etc.
He named himself several awards globally. Irrfan is the recipient of Padma Shri, National Film Award, Asian Film Award, and many more.
|Real Name||Shahabjade Irfan Ali Khan|
|Birth Date||7 January 1967|
|Age||53 years (at the time of death)|
|Birth Place||Jaipur (Rajsthan)|
|College/University||National School of Drama, Delhi|
|Education||Graduate in Drama (1987)|
|Hobbies||Playing Cricket, Reading, Flying Kites|
|Height||6 Feet 1 Inch (185.4 cm)|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
Sahabzade Yaseen Ali Khan.
By profession, he was a business person. Yaseen used to run tyres business. Unfortunately, he died in 1985.
Saeeda Begum Khan.
She was a housewife but belongs to a royal Muslim family. She died on 25th April 2020 at the age of 95.
She is an author, film producer, and screenwriter.
Babil Khan (elder).
He is an aspiring actor. Babil appeared in Life Of Pi, Ek Deewana Tha, and Life In A Metro as a child artist. Thesun
Ayaan Khan (younger).
Imran Khan (elder).
Rukshana Begum (youngest).
|Directed By||Mira Nair|
|Cast||Shafiq Syed, Irrfan Khan, Raghubir Yadav, Nana Patekar, Anita Kanwar, Chanda Sharma, Hansa Vithal|
|Writer||Sooni Taraporevala, Mira Nair|
|Music By||L. Subramaniam|
Irrfan made his film debut with Nair’s Salaam Bombay! in 1988. He played the character of the letter writer in a small uncredited role. The movie tells the heart touching story of an abandoned boy by his mother working at the circus. It won National Film Award and also got a nomination for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film at the 61st Academy Awards ceremony.
|Directed By||Homi Adajania|
|Cast||Irrfan Khan, Radhika Madan, Kareena Kapoor, Pankaj Tripathi, Deepak Dobrial, Tillotama Shome, Meghna Malik|
|Writer||Bhavesh Mandalian, Gaurav Shukla|
|Music By||Sachin-Gigar, Tanishk Bagchi|
The last appearance of his film career was Angrezi Medium. He played the character of a father who faces many challenges to provide his daughter with higher education.
Net worth, Salary, House, Cars
|Net worth||354 crores as in 2020|
|Salary||10 – 14 crores per movie|
|Brand Endorsement||1 crore|
|House||Oshiwara, Mumbai (25 crores approx.)|
W221 Mercedes-Benz S-Class,
UZJ200R Toyota Land Cruiser LC200 Dailyhunt
|Actors||Naseeruddin Shah, Deelip Kumar, Om Puri, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino|
|Actress||Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra|
They met at the National School of Drama while pursuing an acting degree. They get married on 23 February 1995.
- He was a good cricketer and played cricket at the domestic level.
- When he first came to Mumbai he used to repair the air conditioner. He even went to Rajesh Khanna’s home to repair AC.
- His movie Lunch Box (2013) is the only Bollywood movie that won a Toronto Film Critics Association Award (TFCA) as well as Critics Week Viewers Choice Award at the Cannes Film Festival. Timesofindia
- He married Sutapa Sikdar in 1995, who was one of his classmates in the National School of Drama.
- He was offered a role in the movie Salaam Bombay when he was the final year student in NSD.
- Bored with doing in TV serials, he had made up his mind to quit acting. Meanwhile, he was offered Asif Kapadia‘s The Warrior in 2001 that changed his mind.
- He received a tribute on his death by Oscars and Golden Globe Awards on Twitter saying that “A mainstay of Bollywood cinema and incredible talent in films like Slumdog Millionaire, Life of Pi and The Namesake, Irrfan Khan left his imprint on global cinema. An inspiration to millions, he will be greatly missed”. Hindustantimes
- He was offered a big role in Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar and Ridley Scott‘s The Martian, but he denied the offer as he was busy shooting for the movies The Lunchbox and Piku.
- His two movies namely Slumdog Millionaire in 2008 and Life of Pi in 2012 has won the Academy Award (Oscars).
- He was detained twice at the US airport as his name resembled a terrorist’s name.
- While he was struggling he did not have the money to watch the movie Jurassic Park but how interesting it is that after some years he became a part of its franchise Jurassic World.
- To get enrolled in NSD, he submitted the false certificate which reads that he is experienced in ten theatre plays.
- His movie No Bed of Roses was an official entry to the Oscars on behalf of Bangladesh.
- Irrfan is the only Bollywood actor whose character is used in a Lego Game and also he gave a voiceover for it.
- After recovering from illness, he did the last film of his life, English Medium.
- Irrfan surrounded by controversy when he said on Eid-Al-Adha that how someone could earn sanity by sacrificing someone’s life. Qurbani is a ritual performed by Muslims by sacrificing goats on their festival.
In the year 2011, Irrfan received the Indian government’s most prestigious Padma Shri Award for his outstanding contributions to the entertainment world.
|National Film Award (2013)||Paan Singh Tomar||Best Actor|
|Asian Film Award (2014)||The Lunchbox||Best Actor|
|Filmfare Award (2018, 2004)||Hindi Medium, Haasil||Best Actor, Best Performance in a Negative Role|
|IIFA Award (2018)||Hindi Medium||Best Actor|
|Screen Critics Award|
|Filmfare Critics Award|
|Paan Singh Tomar||Best Actor|
|IIFA Award (2008)||Life In A Metro||Best Supporting Actor|
|Hindi Medium, Paan Singh Tomar||Best Actor|
You may also like – Irrfan Khan Best Movies | Top 10 Bollywood Movies
Did you like about “Irrfan Khan biography“? Tell us in the comment section.